Batteries & Environmental Safety
Vivax-Metrotech products use three types of batteries:
- Alkaline Batteries
- Ni-MH (Nickel Metal Hydride) Batteries - rechargeable
- Lithium Ion Batteries - rechargeable
- When replacing the alkaline batteries - use only the size and type specified - DO NOT mix battery types (rechargeable and alkaline).
- DO NOT mix partially discharged and fully charged cells in the same battery pack - DO NOT mix old with new.
- Never attempt to charge alkaline batteries.
Rechargeable Batteries - Nickel Metal Hydride and/or Lithium Ion
- When using rechargeable batteries, use only the correct charging device supplied or specified by the manufacturer. The battery pack or the battery charger will contain circuitry to manage the charging process - other chargers (even if they have the same connector, polarity, voltage & current rating will not have the same control circuitry and can cause damage to the product, overheating, and in extreme cases fire or harm to the individual.
- Before using for the first time, charge rechargeable batteries for 6 hours. If at any time the rechargeable batteries DO NOT last as long as anticipated - discharge fully and then charge for 6 hours.
- Care should be taken when charging batteries - NEVER repeatedly recharge batteries (or turn power off & on) without using the instrument. If used with an inverter in a vehicle - charge the product then unplug the charger and do NOT charge again until the rechargeable batteries have been used for at least ten minutes. Failure to do this could result in the overcharging of the battery which will shorten the life of the battery, and could in some circumstances causes overheating or fire.
- If ever the product becomes hot during the charging process IMMEDIATELY unplug the charger and use the rechargeable batteries for at least 10 minutes before recharging. If this reoccurs the next time the unit is charged - return immediately to Vivax-Metrotech for repair.
- Lithium Ion Batteries - some products use Lithium Ion batteries - the requirements for marking and transportation are still developing. Please contact Vivax-Metrotech before shipping products containing lithium ion batteries or lithium ion battery packs on their own for any "special instructions".
- DO NOT charge batteries for prolonged periods of time without using the locator for at least 10 minutes. Charging for prolonged period of time could overcharge the battery, reduce the battery life and in extreme circumstances cause damage to the locator and fire.
General Rules Regarding Disposal of Batteries
- NEVER disassemble a battery or battery pack.
- NEVER dispose of in fire or water.
- Dispose of batteries in accordance with your Company's work practice, the prevailing laws, or recognized best practice. Always dispose of batteries responsibly.
REMEMBER - BATTERIES CONTAIN DANGEROUS CHEMICALS - THEY CAN BE AFFECTED BY MANY THINGS SUCH AS WATER INGRESS OR HEAT - IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES THEY CAN EXPLODE. THEY ALSO CAN CAUSE ELECTRIC SHOCKS!